Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Livin on a Prayer


This post is 100%, wholeheartedly dedicated to the amazing Kolmer family. Sean and I had the awesome privilege of attending his cousin Kevin and his amazing WIFE Kelly's wedding a few weeks ago. As stated in my previous post, this was just as much some time away for the two of us as it was a chance to spend some good quality time with his family of whom we don't get to see quite enough as well as witness one of my favorite things...the marriage of two young lovebirds 'so happy together'.

It was a whirlwind weekend in beautiful Philadelphia which included a rehearsal dinner, some shopping, a Philly Cheese Steak, an amazing wedding & one of the best damn receptions since well, Sean and mine! We got to get dressed up, stay in a gorgeous hotel, sleep in, and order room service. Simple yet glorious pleasures for parents of two.

For Sean and I, who have been married now 6 years, have endured the ups and downs of life, lost loved ones, battled jobs, and have now muddled through the gigantic responsibility of children, this wedding in particular was especially admirable and endearing. The ceremony & vows in particular were amazing. A letter was read by the priest each had written to each other and the message that hit most home was around Love being an act of the will. As life gets busy, time together gets scarce & children take over your world it's so easy to forget that day and who you were many years ago as you stood together and said "You, always." It is a choice to love someone. You wake up each day and along with all the other 'to do's' and often times this list seems daunting, its so important to remember the most important. I really truly took something from the message and for that I am grateful.


(Here's a self portrait of us closing down the hotel bar)

The reception was amazing, great company, truly delicious food and wine! And let me just say THE BEST band that side of P-town. I remember one sort of euphoric moment when they began to play 'Livin' on a Prayer'. The room was electric, there wasn't a person in the room that wasn't smiling, jumping up and down and truly feeling on top of the world. I'd like a vote of those that were hoarse the next day from screaming "Take my hand and we'll make it I sweeeaaaaarrr WHOOOAAAA Livin on a Prayer!' Tally one for me. So many people all in one room, celebrating such a wonderful event. Aaaahhh I love weddings.

So to Kevin & Kelly, Congrats! I know you are two of my biggest blog fans. Sean and I are so truly happy for you and can't wait to see where your journey takes you both. By the pure quantity of toasts at your rehearsal and the wonderful messages they all had, you know you have a huge group of people who are just blissfully happy for you.

I do have one complaint, and that is that Christopher nailed his best man speech leaving poor Brent in last place. Poor. Guy. We are sure that the day will come that someone will trump his (self appointed) title of 'worst speech ever'.

And Kevin Sr. THIS IS FOR YOU. At the bottom of my post will be a '0 comment, or 1 comment' click on that and you'll be able to leave your message. I'm available by phone for tutorials ;)

Hugs to all you Kolmers out there! We are so happy we made the trip, we had a blast and can't wait to see you all soon!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love your blog and appreciate your creativity. thx for all the hard work. yes, kk jr is back and that's why this comment has made it to print. merry christmas,love kk sr

Anonymous said...

Carrie, Kelly's life is complete now that she has been blogged about. It was great seeing you and Shamus, and living on a prayer was definitely my favorite song of the night. Also, don't get too down on my boy Brentski (even though it will be pretty tough to bomb worse than he did). He lets his dance moves do the talking at weddings. That sure was the case at your wedding!!!

Love,
Kevin

Unknown said...

It is true, seeing my name on your blog made my day! I am so glad that you guys could come all the way across the country for our wedding. It was great to see you both...put me down for Living on a Prayer also!....we also convinced the band in Mexico to play it for us ;)
Can't wait to see you guys again. Love to those cute kiddos of yours.