Wednesday, October 15, 2008

My kids, they are brilliant!

Ian put himself in timeout today. He's 15 months and already 'get's it'. He not only says Thank You when appropriate, and walks to the stairs when you ask him if he's tired, but he's punishing himself!

Monday while home with the kids, I put Ian in timeout (on the bottom stair, for 5 seconds) while telling him that "hitting is inappropriate and will not be tolerated!"Convinced I was going to nip this 'hitting' in the bud, I pulled out some tactics from Nanny 911. I then asked him to say sorry by giving me a kiss which is his new thing (to run across the room, head back and lips pursed while making smooching noises). He did it each time and I allowed him to get up and try again.

He hit Sean today and when Sean said "Ian, no hitting", he very calmly took himself to timeout, waited a moment, and then returned to Sean for his 'I'm sorry' kiss. Don't get me wrong, I highly doubt he will be grounding himself in later years & taking away priveledges on his on accord but I'll take what I can get here.

We visited the pumpkin patch this weekend which was all too much fun. Alex & Caden went thru a haymaze, rode the swings, ferris wheel, & had a pony ride. Ian tried the pony ride & hated it. Instead, he attempted to pick up each and every pumpkin while making a grunting noise as if to say "I believe there is a chance in hell that I can actually physcially pick up this pumpkin, but it's just a TAD too heavy". He loves being able to run/walk around with the big kids and usally when placed on his feet, takes off like Road Runner.



I've had some humorous conversations with Alex this week. I'm not sure what makes them ecspecially funny other than the fact that although she's 3, I feel she has no right knowing what she knows OR being able to articulate these things. I'm wondering if at any age I'll get used to having conversations with her, or if at any point in time I'll stop being enamored by her thought processes.

Me: "Goodnight Pumpkin, I love you."

Alex: "I'm not a pumpkin, I'm Alexandra."

Me: "Your my pumpkin."

Alex: "Mom, your silly (insert 16 year old PPPSSSSHHAAAWWWW) I'm not a pumpkin, I'm a kid!"
_________________________________

Alex: "Mom, did you remember my Kitty from Kathleena's"

Me: (lying) "No, I'm so sorry I must have forgotten her. We'll get it tomorrow."

Alex: (very calm, cool, & collected) "Mom. Sorry, but your gonna have to take me back there to get it."

Mom: "I was kidding Alex, it's in your bag-in the trunk."

Alex: "Okay, I'll have to make sure when we get home or else we'll have to go back. And I'm just tired."


I love the ages of my kids right now. 3 & 1. I still have a baby (sorta-he resembles a 2 year old) but he loves to be held, he needs me in more ways then Alex, he still sleeps in a crib, wears diapers and to everyones dismay still has an occasional bottle and bink (gasp!). But he's my baby and not knowing if there's a 3rd little life out there for us, I'm hanging on to him for dear life. Alex is maturing by the day. I've been so proud of her the last few weeks, the bedtime routine has improved (Thanks to Sean's consistency), she's more polite and she's been so brave in situations she previously may have melted down in. She's now in gymnastics, and swim lessons and loves both dearly! The best part of 3 & 1, is that that "3" and the "1" actually show signs of really truly loving each other. They play better, they take care of each other, & laugh at each other and what a sight that is.

No comments: