Saturday, May 16, 2009

I still, choose them



Last week was challenging. We received word that Nike layoffs were finally beginning, I had Alex's birthday party to think about, logistics of having the kids and dog cared for while Sean and I took a night away, and my daycare was closed and a new sitter was watching the kids for the 3 days. By Thursday night, I was done. After a long, stressful day at work I came home to two grumpy crabby crying kids and truly, all I wanted to do was crawl in my bed and hibernate.



After getting through the evening and another gruelling day at work Sean and I were off to Seattle to see the Red Sox-Mariners game. I booked an amazing room at The W Hotel (thanks United miles). This was Sean's birthday gift and he was pumped! I was really trying to be. I was looking forward to the break, the peace in the car without two kids in the back with needs, but I was exhausted. I probably yawned near 1 million times on the way down. About halfway there, and thanks to the I-5 bridge, and some real crappy Tacoma traffic it was a long drive, I perked up. Darn it, I'm going to enjoy this. Sean and I have had maybe 2 other overnights without the kiddos, there's no time to be tired!


It's always a little odd to be in the car without Alex & Ian, or to be walking around a city without a stroller and diaper bag. To sit at a table for two and be handed only the regular menu? No crayons? Traffic was horrible so our sit down dinner plans were bagged and we hurried to the stadium for a hot dog, garlic fries and the yummiest $9 beers...eva.


Despite having one of THE most annoying fans sitting directly behind us, who NEVER stopped running his mouth about whatever, The game was good, even though Boston lost. On the way back to the hotel, it started:

Sean: "I wish Alex was here, she woulda loved this!"

Me: "I wonder if Chip is ok, I hope he doesn't think we abandoned him"

We missed our kids and our dog. We made sure to grab PINK cotton candy for Alex and then stared longingly at all the people who were walking hand in hand with their kids.

Sean: " I love it love it love it! All these kids staying up all late to watch a sporting event!"

We are suckers.

As crazy and busy as life is, and no matter how tired I am I still don't think I've hit the point where I could leave my little peeps for longer than a weekend and truly enjoy myself because when I'm not with them, something is missing. After four years, and after four hundred moments where I didn't think I could keep going, I still choose them. I choose the hectic, crazy, scheduling nightmare that is my life at times, anytime.

Sean and I had a great time though, and with just one little night away we came back feeling refreshed and renewed in our parenting life. We had a chance to talk without interruption, sleep in until 8, and woke up to the sound of our internal clocks, not the dog whining, Ian chattering, or even worse the BEEP BEEP BEEP of our alarm clocks!

A huge, monstrous thank you to my parents who watched the kids all day Friday per usual, and kept them overnight, and well into Saturday. Big Kudos to My mom, broken arm and all-who always goes above and beyond to make sure we get peace & quiet breaks. It was truly needed, and not just to rest our bodies and our soul, but to bring perspective to what's truly important.

We were on the road home by 10am, Sean talking about picking up our babies, and me frantically listing in the car of what needed to be accomplished that day. Back to the real world we go....

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Sigh, I love love love how true this is, and I'm so glad to have you in a friendship for a life that is difficult to describe, more wonderful and terrible than words can do justice. To know that you just know, and that you are the same, and that we are the same is so comforting. I'm just so damn glad you answered me ad! :) Thanks for a great and true post.